I wanted to have something in my new office/craft space that represented me, my little business, and the blog that I love so much hanging somewhere in the room and this seemed like the perfect place.
These are the materials I used:
old cork board
copy of my logo image
I enlarged the flower from my logo so that it was as big as would fit on a single sheet of paper. (Quick side note: the flower graphic came from Cocoa Mint. I absolutely love her graphics and have used them on more than one occasion) I played around with the placement of it until I found a location I liked.
Now the fun (read: tedious) part begins. Taking an Exacto knife, I cut out each shaded part of my image to create a template of the flower.
And then I got right back to work. Now this is my finished template and you’ll notice that some sections aren’t removed. I knew that I was going to have my flower “hang off” the edge of my cork board, so why spend the additional time and effort to cut out something that I knew I wasn’t going to need anyways?
To make it easier to use the template, I trimmed around the edges that would match up with the edges of the cork board like this:
Now take the template and turn it over. Doesn’t it look pretty?
I sprayed a light coating of the spray glue on the back of my template and let it dry for a few minutes so that it would be tacky and not stick permanently to the board.
When I put the template on, I made sure to rub my finger over every.single.line. on the paper. I didn’t want to risk the paint seeping through. Using a sponge brush, I dabbed paint over my template onto the cork making sure not to use it like a typical paint brush. Up and down: good; side to side: not good.
After letting the paint dry for a few minutes, I carefully peeled off my template…
And voila! A perfectly formed flower in my signature pink. Love.
Next part to tackle was the hideous faux oak on the border. Yuck. I just have some crazy hate for faux oak, so I knew from the beginning that there was absolutely no way that was sticking around. I wanted a more vintage-y, worn in feel so I used the sponge brush again and applied two light coats of white paint around the outside.