First: how adorable is this sweet girl?
Now that that is out of the way, I’m excited to share my latest creation for that cutie-pie: Polka Dot Heart Shirt. When I found this plain white tee at Target for $2.50 on clearance (Holla!), I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Keep reading to get the full tutorial on how to make your own!
plain white tee * black polka dot lace (mine is from JoAnn’s)
ribbon * Fray Check * red thread or embroidery floss
1. Cut out five hearts from the black lace. I free-handed mine, but you could also use a heart template if you have one.
2. Pin the largest heart in the center of the tee.
3. Stitch carefully around the outside of the heart. If you don’t have a sewing machine, I think it would also be cute to hand stitch around the edges using red embroidery floss. Continue pinning and stitching your hearts until you have four on the front.
4. Tie a small bow using the ribbon. Trim the excess and apply Fray Check to the ends to prevent — you guessed it — fraying. Allow the Fray Check to dry before moving on to the next step. You could even do this step before sewing your hearts on so that the liquid is dry when you’re ready to sew on the bow.
5. Pin the bow into place.
6. Turn the shirt inside out to stitch center of the bow into place from the back.
Ta da! And are you wondering where the fifth heart ended up?
I wanted to add a fun little surprise on the back so the fifth heart was sewn back there. I love how it turned out and my daughter was in full tantrum mode when I had to take it off of her to put her jammies on. At least I know she likes it too!
Linking Here:Pin It