Pallet Love

I was totally dedicated to making every. single. Christmas gift. this year. I even dedicated an entire month to it here on the blog.

And then December hit and my plan flew out the window. I’ve learned my lesson now for next year; apparently starting in the summer will be a much better plan of action.

I did get one project finished before Christmas that I’m especially proud of. I made this:

Love Story Pallet Art

From this:

Love Story Pallet Art-Blank

Well, it was actually a pile of boards that the husband and I nailed together, but neat, right? I had a ton of inspiration from Pinterest to help me figure out what I wanted to do…

La Famille

A Cup of Lindsey Jo

Super cute, right?

I made my version as a wedding/Christmas gift for my BFF and her new husband. I knew I wanted a quote that represented them and I wanted it to match their room. Little did I know how intense the project would be! Once I got into it, I totally spaced taking pictures, but I’ll let you know what steps I took and what products I used.

1. Nail the boards together making sure to brace both sides on the back. You don’t want your hard work to fall apart later!
  2. Paint a light layer of paint on the wood. I used a gray acrylic paint that I picked up from Michael’s for $0.50. Nice and cheap.
  3. Using Martha Stewart Crafts Tintable Antique Effect and Martha Stewart Crafts Satin Acrylic Paint in Wedding Cake, create a healthy dose of the mixture and cover the boards liberally. Let dry.
  4. Apply vinyl or paint your quote onto the boards.
  5. Apply a good thick coating of Matte Mod Podge over the entire front of the project. This will seal everything down.
  6. Apply two generous coats of Martha Stewart Crafts Satin Finish.

Project complete! These directions make it seems fairly simple, when all reality, it took me two days to complete it when I factored in drying times in between coats of paint and sealer. The BFF teared up when she received it, so I hope that means she likes it. What do you think? Is it a keeper?

If you liked this project, you might also enjoy some other pallet art pieces I’ve put together:

Wedding Pallet Art

Wedding Pallet Art

Ombre Easter Egg Pallet Art

Ombre Easter Egg Pallet Art

Handmade Grateful Heart Pallet Art

Grateful Heart Pallet Art

Patriotic Entry Way with USA Pallet Art from Sweet Rose Studio 1

Patriotic Pallet Art

Linking Here:

Pin It

Comments

• says

Hi Rebekah!

I tried emailing you, but I keep getting a delivery failure notice. Oops! I cut the letters from white vinyl with my Silhouette SD. I ordered the SD from Overstock.com a few months ago and I order all of my vinyl from Expressions Vinyl.

I hope this helps!

• Michelle says

Hi Katie! I am in LOVE with this project. You are one talented girl. I would like to do a similar project, correction I would like to do THIS project. I have been searching and searching for inspiration for our master retreat renovation and this was one of the first things I came across after weeks of searching. Would you be willing to make another vinyl lettering to sell?? I have looked at other sites that sell this quote but I like the font and exaggerations you use. Please let me know if I can buy it from you!!

1. says

that’s really pretty. i love the idea of using pallets or wood like this.

i agree with you about handmade christmas. i did all handmade gifts for family i started in nov and thought i’d have enough time i was in crunch mode and mailed them the week before christmas not sure if they’d get there in time, but they did.

this year i’m starting in sept! :)

2. says

Saw this on Pinterest and was like THAT’S GORGEOUS! Came to the post and wham I see my pallet sign :) Awww you’re so sweet.
    I love love it! I’m really curious how you went about painting the letters for the quote on it!

Pamela @ pbjstories.com

• says

Hi Pamela! I loved LOVED the sign that you made; it was awesome inspiration for mine! I actually used my Silhouette to cut vinyl letters and then applied those. No paint for the letters required!

3. says

I love this. It is awesome.
    I have done the same thing with Christmas presents. I definitely need to start on them this summer.
    Ruth

4. Deanna says

Love it! I’ve been all over pinterest looking for sayings to do a sign like this for our bedroom! Its sweet, thanks for sharing!

• says

I nailed a short board on the top center of the backside so that it could rest on nails if it needed to be hung. There are also picture hanging kits with nails and cord that you could easily put on the back. I hope this helps!

5. says

I loved your sign so much that I pinned it! :) Too sweet!

Happy New Year!

~Liz

P.S. I’m following you now… hope you will come by and say hi.

6. beachcomber says

love the sign you made and the weathered timber colour!
    the others are cute too.
    new follower..cheryl x

• says

Hi Miranda! THe writing is in vinyl. I used my Silhouette SD to cut it. I actually painted the wood in a multi-step process that’s at the end of the post. I hope this helps!

7. Natalie @ A Turtle's Life for Me says

That’s great! I made a sign using this quote a couple months ago and was pleased with how it turned out, but yours is gorgeous! Such a statement piece!

8. says

Hi Katie, This is adorable! I’m happy to have found your blog and excited to be following along! You have some really great ideas… thanks for sharing. I hope you might come visit me too… burlapandbuttons.blogspot.com Hope you have a great week!

• says

Oh man! I know that I used Feel Script for the swirly letters, but I’m such a font addict that I can’t remember what the other font was! Some of my favorite fonts that will work are Fairfax Station and Duality, both found at DaFont.com. I hope this helps!

9. says

This turned out amazing! I also wanted to make handmade Christmas gifts for everyone, but totally ran out of time. I did get around to doing a few though.

I’ve been dying to make my own pallet art. Hoping to get to do it with a work project soon. I love how you gave it a white washed effect. Keeping that in mind if/when I ever get around to doing one myself!

Great job!

10. says

This is just amazing..I want to do something like this and you’ve inspired me to go for it. I’m going to share on fb and pinterest…Thank you

• says

Thank you so much Valerie! I purchased the Silhouette SD before I even knew the CAMEO was coming. I still love it though and use it all the time now!

11. Laura says

I made this for our 33rd Wedding Anniversary and it turned out AWESOME! I cut the words out of adhesive vinyl using my Cricut. They went onto the board like a dream! Thank you so much for a wonderful idea! My husband was quite surprised!

12. Tarah says

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love it! I am going to try to make one myself. Do you mind telling me how big the wood pieces are & how big you made the lettering with your Silhouette SD? Thanks a bunch!

• says

Hi Tarah! This was such a last minute project, so I didn’t take measurements at the time and since it was given as a gift, I don’t have access to take measurements now. So sorry!

13. Chrisy says

Love this! I’m trying to create my own, can you tell me what size font you used (i.e. 2″, 3″…) thanks!!

• says

Hi Chrissy! I wish I could tell you, but it was such a last-minute project that I didn’t remember to save the measurements. I’m kicking myself now!

14. Sarah says

Hi Katie! I came across your blog (through Pinterest, no less) and I am in LOVE with this project! It looks gorgeous and I’m bound & determined to make one to go above our bed. I know that everyone is itching to know more about the vinyl lettering…me included! I’m not sure that I’d use the Silhouette/something comparable enough to be worth the expense. If you find a minute to make another (or similar) set of lettering, I will GLADLY buy it from you!

15. sophie chantelle says

Hi, I LOVE your stuff. is there any way about ordering a couple off you? Amazing creativity.

16. Abigail Howard says

I LOVE the white washed one that says every love story is beautiful. SO SO SO adorable! Especially above my master bed :) Your work is beautiful!

Trackbacks