Confession: I have a big birthday coming up and for some reason, I feel like I’m in complete denial about it. My BFF and husband have coerced me into having a party and although I’m having a rough time wrapping my head around having a party in my honor (I’m *way* better at throwing these for other guests of honor), I’m having a great time trying to determine what the food served will be. With the temperatures in Phoenix reaching nearly 115 degrees this week, I wanted to come up with a cupcake recipe that was light and fresh. Heavy and rich foods just aren’t that appetizing in the heat.
I think these Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes were an amazing solution and the answer to my cupcake prayers.
My favorite part about these particular cakes are there are fresh strawberries baked in the cupcakes and strawberry jam mixed into the frosting. Are you ready for the recipe?
Lemon box cake mix + required ingredients
pint of strawberries * 2 cans pre-made vanilla frosting
8 oz. jar of strawberry jam
1. Dice the pint of strawberries into very fine pieces. Place them in a bowl and set aside for later.
2. Make the lemon cake mix according the directions on the package.
3. Dump all the diced strawberries into the prepared mix.
4. Carefully fold the strawberries into the lemon mix and scoop the mix into cupcake liners.
5. Bake the cupcakes for the lowest recommended time on the package and allow them to cool fully before adding any frosting.
For the frosting, combine two cans of pre-made vanilla frosting with an 8 oz. jar of strawberry jam. I had intended on making the frosting from scratch, but I didn’t have enough butter on hand. (Side note: How in the world did I NOT have enough butter?!?) At least some part of this frosting is homemade; my sister and grandmother canned their own organic strawberry jam so that’s what I was able to use!
These Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes taste best when served cold. Refrigerate them and it will make all of the difference!
Linking Here:Pin It