I was provided paints by DecoArt, but all ideas and opinions are 100%my own.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending a little gift to your child’s new teacher at the beginning of the school year. Not only does it start you off in their good graces for the new school year (never a bad thing), but it also lets the teacher know that you value the time and effort they’ve already dedicated to your precious kidlet before the year has even started. Teachers are typically unpaid during the time (I’m talking weeks for some) they spend in the classroom prepping materials and creating the best learning environment possible. Don’t let that go unnoticed!
Over the course of the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing a handful of ideas that can be used for teachers throughout the year, but are more specifically intended for these back to school moments. Today, I’m sharing a simple candy jar idea using some of my fave DecoArt Glass Paints.
Let’s get started!
- glass candy jar
- American 3D Opaque Gloss Enamels in True Red
- American 3D Opaque Gloss Enamels in True Blue
- Americana White Frost Gloss Enamel paint
- paint brush
- painter’s tape
1. Before beginning with any paint, make sure that your jar has been cleaned with an alcohol wipe. This will make sure you have the optimal surface for painting.
2. To create the anchor on the lid, I Googled anchor clip art images and free-handed a design based upon what I saw. If winging it like I did scares the pants off you, print the anchor out and tape it on the inside of the lid. Because you’re working with glass, you’ll be able to see the anchor and use it as a guide.
3. Use the painter’s tape to create a stripe along the center of the container. Apply a liberal coat of the White Frost Gloss Enamel paint and let it dry for about 10 minutes before removing the tape.
4. Create either a line boarder, a dot border, or both using the True Blue 3D Gloss Enamels.
5. Let your entire project dry for four days and then follow the instructions on the paint bottle for curing instructions.
Fill ‘er up with yummy candies and it’s ready to be given! You could even add a sweet tag with something along the lines of “Looking forward to smooth sailing this year!” or “Ready to set sail in Kindergarten!” to add a little extra cuteness.
Right now, DecoArt has a great deal: buy 5 Americana Glass Paints, get a $5 rebate! Here’s more of the juicy details:
Note: Online purchases or sales items are not valid for this rebate offer. This rebate is valid for US consumers only.
Americana Glass Paints are available at Michaels, JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores, Pat Catan’s Craft Centers, A.C. Moore, Beverly’s, and other fine craft retailers. For more information on Americana Glass Paints visit http://www.decoart.com/glasspaint.
Are you ready to enter the giveaway now? One lucky winner will be walking away with a $100 Michael’s gift card *plus* $100 worth of DecoArt paints! Suh-weet!
Before you go, here are links to some more DecoArt glass paint projects that are chock full of inspiration and awesomeness. Go check them out!