Sometimes the patriotic-loving stars align and I’m able to bring you the mother-lode of red, white, and blue food, decor, and craft ideas and when I say the mother-lode, I mean it! I’ve teamed up with nearly 90 bloggers to share so much insane creative goodness that there’s bound to be a little something for everyone. I’m personally sharing a super simple recipe to create red, white, and blue patriotic cupcakes that I know will impress even the toughest of critics!
These look pretty normal when you see them at first glance. It’s when you take a bite that shows the magic.
See?! They’re red, white, and blue on the inside!
- white box cake mix, plus required ingredients on package
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- cupcake liners
1. Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the package. Separate on third of the mix into a smaller bowl and set the large bowl aside for later.
2. Add enough blue food coloring to the small bowl to create the shade of blue that you’d like. I chose to go with a lighter blue, but its all up to your personal preference.
3. Fill the cupcake liners 1/4 full with the blue cake batter.
4. Scoop the white batter from the large bowl into the cupcake liners to make the liners half full.
5. Add red food coloring to the remainder of the white batter left in the large bowl. Once again, add enough food coloring to create the shade of red that you’d like.
6. Scoop the red cake batter into the cupcake liners to make them about 3/4 full. If you have too much more than that, the cupcakes will spill over during baking.
7. Bake the cupcakes according to the directions on the cake mix package. I always bake my cupcakes for the shortest amount of time recommended to ensure that they aren’t dry.
8. Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before frosting them. Enjoy!
Now comes the fun! Like I said earlier, nearly 90 bloggers have contributed to this giant round-up of ideas; go find something that looks awesome to you!
You can also follow us on Pinterest too where we’ll be adding even more red, white, and blue amazing-ness!